Saturday 25 June 2016

Eid mubarak stories

“800, 850, 900 …… only one note of Rs. 100 needed to make it 1000 as always,” Zohaib became upset after counting his Eidi on the third day of Eid.
“Will I always get Rs. 1000? Why do Imran Chachoo and Sumaiya Khala always give me Rs. 20 only? What will I tell my friends? They always collect more than four or five thousand.” Zohaib was talking to himself in his room. He became so depressed that he was weeping when his Dada jan came into his room. He didn’t notice his presence and went on crying with his Eidi in his hands.
“Zohaib why didn’t you come to listen to a story tonight? I was waiting for you,” he softly chided Zohaib.
“Hey, what happened to my dear son? Why is he crying?” He asked worriedly.
“It’s nothing Dada jan,” he replied quickly wiping away his tears.
“Zohaib you say that I’m your best friend but you aren’t sharing your problem with me. What’s happened? Has someone stolen your money?” he asked looking at the small bundle of money in his hands.
“No, no one has stolen it but you can say that someone has stolen my Eidi,” his reply Dada jan.
“Oho! You want me to solve a riddle?”
Zohaib had now recovered and confided to Dada jan. “Dada jan see this bundle of my Eidi? It’s only Rs. 1000.”
“Only? It’s not only Rs. 1000. It is a big amount for children.”
“No Dada jan you don’t understand. My friend Sami and Arsum always collect about four or five thousand every year but I hardly get one thousand. It’s just because of Imran Chachoo and Sumaiya Khala. Do you know that they just give me Rs. 20? And other relatives never give me more than Rs. 50 except you and Ammi, Abbu,” he said all in one breath.
Dada jan was smiling because he had understood
the situation.
“Zohaib do you know why Muslims celebrate Eid-ul-fitr?”
“Yes, Dada jan! It’s a gift from Almighty Allah to all the Muslims for fasting for the whole month of Ramazan.”
“Great! And we celebrate it with get-togethers, new dresses, delicious food, gifts and Eidi to increase our happiness on the great occasion.” Zohaib was listening carefully. “Yes, you are right Dada jan,” he nodded his head.
“Yet people spend money according to their circumstances. You know very well that we wear new dresses on Eid just for ourselves and not for show off. Similarly Eidi and gifts are also not for showing off. It is given to youngsters just in love. We see needy people all around us daily who don’t even have anything to eat or drink. If we spend our Eidi in helping those needy and poor people, it will be enough to buy a house in Jannah.”
“Oh really Dada jan?” Zohaib exclaimed. He wanted to go to Jannah very badly and always tried to find ways that would help him get there.
“Dada jan, we’ll go in search of needy people tomorrow in the morning.”
“That’s it! I just wanted to make you understand the idea behind Eid. Now will you feel shame in telling your friends about your Eidi?”
“No. How can I when I’ve enough Eidi to buy a house?”
Dada jan smiled and hugged Zohaib who was now looking very content and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment